Tuesday, 12 May 2015

The Radical Centre

Ok, so a short post this evening because there is football on and I'm tired! However, I promised that I would set out why I feel my political philosophy will mean that any bias I might have should hopefully be minimal.

I have no doubt that many of you will have heard the term "radical centre", most likely being used by Nick Clegg. I have little doubt that a majority of you had no idea what he meant by it. The term can be split in two: radical and centre.

The important part in considering my (hoped) lack of bias is the centrism that this philosophy is based on. Centrists believe that solutions come from a pragmatic approach and not just an ideological approach. Essentially, it does not matter whether a policy is from the left or right; what matters is whether a policy works.

The "radical" part of the philosophy is less important for the purpose of this blog, although it is important to me personally. This refers to a need to reform institutions, for example, I am strongly in favour of electoral reform (again, something I intend to blog about in the near future).

Speaking of what I intend to blog about, I have a few topics in mind for the next week: electoral reform (specifically the voting system), privatisation of the NHS, the scrapping of the Human Rights Act and, although I would like to resist, tuition fees.

I am open to suggestions though. If there's any policy you have heard about but don't really understand or want to know about it in more, unbiased, depth, then please just comment below and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to keep you... In The Loop.

Ed


No comments:

Post a Comment